Portland Child Support Lawyers
Helping Oregon Families Create Fair Child Support Arrangements
In a divorce or when paternity is established, child support may need to be addressed. This is an amount of money paid by one parent to another to provide for the support and care of a shared child or children. Support is typically paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent, although support is also paid in shared custody arrangements if there is an income disparity between parents or if the child or children spend more time living with one parent than the other.
Because we handle all aspects of family law and divorce, you can count on our ability to properly handle your child support matter. If you have questions about child support or need help enforcing or modifying an existing support arrangement, Levine Law Center can offer experienced guidance.
Our Portland child support attorneys can help by:
- Protecting your interests by properly presenting your financial situation
- Initiating enforcement proceedings
- Pursuing a modification of support
- Representing you in any applicable hearings or court proceedings
How is Child Support Determined in Oregon?
The foundation for determining child support obligations can be found in Oregon Child Support Guidelines, including an online calculator that can provide an estimate of what support you may be entitled to receive or required to pay.
Child support will be determined based on:
- Each parent’s income
- Any spousal support received or paid by each parent
- Any union dues paid by each parent
- The number of children
- How much time (specifically overnight stays) the child/children spend with each parent
- Any child care costs that apply for disabled children or children under the age of 13
- Any Social Security or other benefits a child receives
- Any other children each parent has living with him/her
- Healthcare coverage costs for each parent and the child/children
Is Child Support Mandatory in Oregon?
Yes, child support is mandatory in Oregon if you have a support order. Typically, orders are obtained through a divorce or custody case; however, you can also seek a support order through the Division of Child Support (DCS) as well. In most cases, paying support is mandatory until the child is 18 years old, but under certain circumstances the paying parent may be required to continue payment until the child is 21.
What Does Child Support Cover in Oregon?
Child support in Oregon is intended to cover the child’s basic necessities, including:
- Medical coverage
- Child care
- Clothing and shoes
How Can I Enforce a Child Support Order?
If child support goes unpaid, parents can take several legal steps to enforce the order.
The first step is determining if you want to pursue legal action with a private attorney or through the Oregon Department of Justice Division of Child Support. Every case is different, but hiring a private attorney means you’ll get to work more closely with them as the case progresses.
Some common forms of enforcement include:
- Wage withholding
- For those who wish to withhold wages, they can ask for payments to be taken straight out of the payor's paychecks. If the payor owes back child support, then the normal amount of wages taken equal 120% of the original support order. For example, if $100 was owed originally, then $120 can be taken out. This remains in effect only until the back child support is fully paid off.
- Drivers’ license suspension
Personalized Legal Solutions for Your Unique Situation
At Levine Law Center LLC, we understand that every legal case is unique and requires personalized attention. Our team of experienced Portland child support attorneys is dedicated to providing tailored legal solutions to meet the specific needs of our clients. No matter how complex the family law matter, we have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the legal process.
Our approach to legal representation includes:
- Thorough case evaluation to understand your individual circumstances
- Customized legal strategies to achieve your desired outcome
- Clear and open communication to keep you informed every step of the way
- Compassionate and supportive guidance during challenging times
When you choose Levine Law Center LLC, you can trust that your case will receive the attention and care it deserves. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn how our Portland child support can help with your legal needs.
Call Our Experienced Portland Child Support Lawyer Now
The determination of child support will directly impact your finances and your child’s well-being. Make sure your interests are properly represented by a skilled team of Portland, OR child support attorneys. Levine Law Center stands ready to handle your child support matter to the fullest extent of our abilities, and we can provide the one-on-one support and guidance you deserve every step of the way.
- HOW CHILD SUPPORT IS CALCULATED IN OREGON
- I LOST MY JOB, WHAT IF I CAN’T AFFORD CHILD SUPPORT?
- MY EX ISN’T PAYING CHILD SUPPORT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?